Gay Marriage and US Immigration

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Gay Marriage in US and other Gay Marriage topics.

Will my marriage be recognised in the US?

Gay Marriage and US Immigration

Although Massachusetts has passed a law legalizing gay marriage, a marriage conducted in Canada will not necessarily be recognized legally in the US . The US has an agreement with Canada not to challenge marriages performed in the neighboring country. This agreement has been used in arguments for recognizing Canadian gay marriage in the US, but has so far not carried enough weight to entitle couples married in Canada to US benefits.

All other countries that have laws legalising gay marriage have a residency requirement, so couples moving to the US will need a green-card to obtain residency. As immigration comes under federal law, gay partners cannot use the marriage residency requirement to obtain residency in America .

Once residency has been obtained, the status of the marriage is affected by state law and should be tested in local courts.



Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.


URL: (optional)


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Gay Marriage Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Sheri Ann Richerson