Benefits for Gay Married Couples
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Gay Marriage in the US and other Gay Marriage topics.
What benefits would gay couples have if they could marry legally?
If same-sex marriages were legal in the United States, here are just a few of the 1,138 rights, privileges, and benefits that would be afforded to each member of the couple:
- Bereavement leave
- Assumption of spouse's pension
- Insurance benefits
- Partner-based medical decisions
- Sick leave in case of partner's illness
- Social Security survivor benefits
- Marriage-related tax breaks
- Veteran's benefits and discounts
- Visitation rights if partner is in hospital
- Conjugal visits in prison