Same Sex Marriage and Immigration in Canada

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Gay Marriages in Canada and other Gay Marriage topics.

Can my gay partner become a Canadian citizen if we're married?

Same Sex Marriage and Immigration in Canada

The Department of Citizenship and Immigration Canada will recognize a gay marriage in Canada between immigration applicants and Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Canadian residents may also sponsor their gay common-law or civil union partners for family-class immigration. The partners must supply proof of co-habitation for at least one year

Canadian immigration law does not recognize same-sex marriages conducted outside Canada. Several court cases have questioned this policy but so far immigration law has not been altered to accept marriages in the Netherlands, Belgium or Spain.



Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.


URL: (optional)


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Gay Marriage Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Carma Spence-Pothitt